Gestational Diabetes Treatment
If you are diagnosed with gestational diabetes it is important that you
work with a diabetes care team to ensure that safely of you and your baby.
The goal for women with gestational diabetes is to keep blood glucose levels
in a healthy range for pregnant women. Treatment for gestational diabetes
will focus on meal plans and exercise. Blood glucose testing and insulin
injections may also be necessary to control your diabetes.
Certified Diabetes Educators at the Mary & Dick Allen Diabetes Center
provide classes and information for pregnant and breast-feeding women
with diabetes to provide detailed meal planning and consultation related
to medications as well as insulin instruction and pump training if needed.
Gestational Diabetes Counseling
These classes are for individuals who develop diabetes during pregnancy.
- The pathophysiology of gestational diabetes
- Potential complication associated with gestational diabetes
- The impact on the mother and baby
- Blood glucose monitoring
- Nutrition education for pregnancy
- Appropriate energy needs to meet optimal weight gain for pregnancy
These are individual sessions for women with pre-existing diabetes (type
1 or type 2) contemplating pregnancy
- The importance of meeting appropriate A1C goals prior to conception
- Potential complications associated with diabetes in pregnancy
- Review of blood glucose mentoring goals
Pre-existing Diabetes (type 1 or type 2) and Pregnancy
These are individual sessions for women with type 1 or type 2 diabetes
who are now pregnant.
- Nutrition education for pregnancy and a review of food exchanges and carbohydrate counting
- Blood glucose monitoring and medication an insulin instruction
The Sweet Success Program is by physician referral only. For additional
details about the program, or questions, please call 949-764-8065.