Diabetes & Pregnancy
Diabetes Care and Pregnancy: Sweet Success Program
The Ueberroth Family Program for Women with Diabetes at Hoag (also known as Sweet Success) ensures that all women experiencing pregnancy with diabetes have access to diabetes care before, during and after pregnancy. This includes women with preexisting type 1 diabetes (T1D) or type 2 diabetes (T2D) as well as women who develop gestational diabetes mellitus (GDM) during pregnancy.
Up to 10% of pregnant women in the U.S. develop diabetes during pregnancy, called gestational diabetes mellitus (GDM). Furthermore, about 50% of women with GDM go on to develop type 2 diabetes, but it can be prevented.
To ensure a safe pregnancy and a healthy baby, it is essential to carefully manage preexisting diabetes and GDM during pregnancy. Our Sweet Success Program provides educational, nutritional and emotional resources to support expectant mothers with diabetes to have a successful and healthy pregnancy. In the program, certified diabetes educators work with you and your OB provider to ensure continuity of care.
- Pre-Conception Counseling – If you have preexisting diabetes T1D or T2D and are planning to become pregnant, we offer individualized counseling, support and education.
- Counseling for Pregnant Women with Preexisting Diabetes T1D or T2D – Individual sessions to review nutrition education, food exchanges and carbohydrate counting, as well as blood glucose monitoring and medication and insulin instructions.
- Counseling for Women with GDM – Individual care and classes to ensure a healthy pregnancy for you and baby. Topics include:
- The impact of GDM on the mother and baby, including potential complications
- Nutrition education
- Blood glucose monitoring (including medication and insulin instructions, as needed)
- Appropriate energy intake
- Optimal weight gain for pregnancy
- Postpartum Support –
- Classes and information for breastfeeding women with diabetes
- For women with GDM, 6–12 weeks after you give birth, we will develop next steps to address your needs moving forward. We also offer a free oral glucose tolerance test as a screening for T2D.
- Social Support – Navigating pregnancy and diabetes can be emotionally and mentally challenging. Hoag offers a Diabetes and Pregnancy Virtual Support Group for women to connect with others experiencing pregnancy with T2D and GDM. Registration is available here.
How To Get Started
A physician referral is required for Sweet Success Program clinical care. Please have your healthcare provider complete this form. The Diabetes and Pregnancy Virtual Support Group is free and does not require a physician referral.
For additional details about the program, please call 949-764-8065.
Gain hope and insight as you read the personal accounts from people who’ve been on a journey similar to yours. Perhaps you’ll have a story of your own one day that will inspire others.
“I attribute my healthy pregnancy, delivery and baby to the incredible team at Hoag. From the physicians and nurses, to…Read More
‘Eating for two’ means eating twice as carefully Overcoming any challenge is rewarding. For women who prevail over the challenge…Read More