For People with Type 2 Diabetes
According to the American Diabetes Association, over 34 million people in the United States — one out of every 10 people — have diabetes. Another 88 million people – nearly one out of three adults – have prediabetes, and nine out of 10 of them aren’t even aware of it.
Now comes the good news. By adopting healthful eating habits and making moderate exercise a habit, along with recommended medications, routine blood glucose monitoring and diabetes education, children and adults with diabetes can take control of their diabetes or pre-diabetes.
The Mary & Dick Allen Diabetes Center at Hoag is here to help.
The Allen Diabetes Center offers one of the largest diabetes education programs in Southern California. The Center’s team comprises diabetes care and education specialists, nurses, dietitians, pharmacists, and endocrinologists.
The Center’s comprehensive education program includes:
Diabetes Self-Management Education & Support (DSMES)
- Blood glucose monitoring
Insulin instruction and insulin pump training, if needed
Prevention of complications
- Carbohydrate counting
- Nutrition management while traveling or dining out
- Special nutrition needs for those with diabetes
- Education sessions focused on strategies to gain control over the disease with medication, monitoring, diet and exercise
- Diabetes Self-Management Education & Support (DSMES)
- Medical Nutrition Therapy (MNT)
- Nutrition and fitness recommendations to maintain a healthy, balanced lifestyle
- Ongoing support from a health coach
- Weight loss support
For health education classes, medical nutrition therapy, insulin instruction, or medical consultation by an endocrinologist, please have your healthcare provider complete this form.
The Mary & Dick Allen Diabetes Center also offers FREE events and support groups for people with type 2 diabetes.
What is your risk of developing type 2 diabetes?
Take our online health risk assessment to discover if you are at risk of developing type 2 diabetes. After taking this assessment you’ll get more information on what your next steps should be.