Hoag Nurse Navigators
A diagnosis of a serious disease or condition may often leave patients asking, "Where do I go from here?" At Hoag, we provide answers and much more through experienced clinical nurse navigators. Hoag’s clinical nurse navigators provide assistance to patients and their families, to help them access and navigate through Hoag’s resources as well as assisting to chart a course through the health care system as a whole.
Need to Contact Us?
- Improves patient access to care by navigating through heath care barriers
- Provides quicker access to diagnostic testing
- Once diagnosed, reviews disease/condition and discusses treatment options with patient
- Provides guidance on selecting a specialty physician or surgeon, if needed
- Aids patients in scheduling surgery or making pre and post-treatment appointments
- Assesses complex psychosocial needs, including emotional and situational support of the patient and their family, and appropriately coordinates resources
- Uses evidence-based best practices in the care and management of patients through research dissemination
- Visits patient while in hospital/recovery, follows up after discharge if needed and may follow the patient in support groups for many years to come
- Assists patients and their family in understanding the diagnosis, treatment options, and resources available using evidenced based guidelines
- May provide community education to aide in prevention diagnosis and early treatment
- Designs and evaluates innovative educational programs and tools for patients, families and groups
- In collaboration with physicians, improves prevention and early detection efforts by participating in community education forums and screenings
- Educates eligible patients about appropriate clinical research studies
Cancer Nurse Navigators
- Brain tumor, spine cancer and bone and soft tissue sarcoma nurse navigator – Jennifer Lozano, B.S.N., R.N.
- Breast cancer and melanoma & complex skin cancer clinical nurse navigator – Traci Swenson, B.S.N., R.N., O.C.N.
- Gastrointestinal cancers clinical nurse navigator – Diane Eadie, R.N., B.S.N.
- Bladder, kidney, male GU and gynecologic cancers clinical nurse navigator – Sandy Southerland, R.N., O.C.N.
- Head and neck and prostate cancers clinical nurse navigator – Tina Corriere, B.S.N., R.N., O.C.N.
- Lung, thyroid and esophageal cancers clinical nurse navigator – Mandy Gutierrez, B.S.N., R.N., O.C.N.
- Hematologic cancer and lymphoma clinical nurse navigator – Lilian Reed, R.N.C.
Neurosciences Nurse Navigators
- Epilepsy – Sheena Dhiman, BSN, MBA
- Movement Disorders/Parkinson’s Disease – Julie Treat, R.N., M.S.N.
- Stroke – Deborah Mastrolia, R.N.
- Brain tumor – Lori Berberet, M.S., R.N.
- Spine – Julie Treat, R.N.
Heart & Vascular Nurse Navigators
- Heart Valve Center – Barbara Eklund, B.S.N., R.N.
- Heart Valve Center – Marita Fabros, B.S.N., R.N.