Hoag Nurse Navigators
A diagnosis of a serious disease or condition may often leave patients
asking, "Where do I go from here?" At Hoag, we provide answers
and much more through experienced clinical nurse navigators. Hoag’s
clinical nurse navigators provide assistance to patients and their families,
to help them access and navigate through Hoag’s resources as well
as assisting to chart a course through the health care system as a whole.
- Improves patient access to care by navigating through heath care barriers
- Provides quicker access to diagnostic testing
- Once diagnosed, reviews disease/condition and discusses treatment options
- Provides guidance on selecting a specialty physician or surgeon, if needed
- Aids patients in scheduling surgery or making pre- and post-treatment appointments
- Assesses complex psychosocial needs, including emotional and situational
support of the patient and their family, and appropriately coordinates resources
- Uses evidence-based best practices in the care and management of patients
through research dissemination
- Visits patient while in hospital/recovery, follows up after discharge if
needed and may follow the patient in support groups for many years to come
- Assists patients and their family in understanding the diagnosis, treatment
options, and resources available using evidenced based guidelines
- May provide community education to aide in prevention diagnosis and early treatment
- Designs and evaluates innovative educational programs and tools for patients,
families and groups
- In collaboration with physicians, improves prevention and early detection
efforts by participating in community education forums and screenings
- Educates eligible patients about appropriate clinical research studies
Cancer Nurse Navigators:
Brain tumor nurse navigator - Lori Berberet, M.S., R.N.
Breast cancer clinical nurse navigator - Michelle Booth, B.S.N., R.N.
Gastrointestinal cancer clinical nurse navigator - Sandy Pollet, R.N., O.C.N.
Gynecologic cancer clinical nurse navigator - Sandy Pollet, R.N., O.C.N.
Head and neck cancer clinical nurse navigator - Rhonda Hjelm, M.S.N., R.N., O.C.N.
Lung cancer clinical nurse navigator - Lilian Reed, R.N.
Melanoma clinical nurse navigator - Rhonda Hjelm, M.S.N., R.N., O.C.N
Palliative care clinical nurse navigator - Janet Batt, R.N.
Sarcoma clinical nurse navigator - Lori Berberet, M.S., R.N.
Urologic cancer (prostate, bladder & kidney) clinical nurse navigator - Sandy Pollet,
Neurosciences Nurse Navigators:
Epilepsy - Marilyn Fitzgerald, R.N.
Multiple Sclerosis - Marilyn Fitzgerald, R.N.
Movement Disorders/Parkinson’s Disease - Julie Treat, R.N., M.S.N.
Stroke - Deborah Mastrolia, R.N.
Trigeminal Neuralgia - Lori Berberet, M.S., R.N.
Headache - Lori Berberet, M.S., R.N.
Orofacial Pain - Lori Berberet, R.N.
Spine - Julie Treat, R.N.
Learn more about the
Women's Nurse Navigator:
Breast Care Patient Coordinator (Imaging) - Kim Noviello
Breast Care Clinical Nurse Coordinator (Surgery) - Teresa Lawsky, B.S.N., R.N.
Heart & Vascular Nurse Navigators: