Awards & Accreditations
Highest Ranked Hospital in OC
This marks the sixth year in a row Hoag has achieved this level of recognition by U.S. News & World Report. The organization was ranked the #4 hospital in the Los Angeles Metro Area and the #9 hospital in California, and is the only Orange County hospital in the top 10. Additionally, Hoag was ranked #33 nationally in Diabetes & Endocrinology, #28 nationally in Orthopedics, #38 in Obstetrics & Gynecology. Hoag ranked high performing in five adult specialties, including Gastroenterology & GI Surgery, Geriatrics, Neurology & Neurosurgery, Pulmonary & Lung Surgery, and Urology, as well as in 19 common adult procedures, including: Aortic Valve Surgery, Back Surgery (spinal fusion), Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD), Colon Cancer Surgery, Diabetes, Heart Attack, Heart Bypass Surgery, Heart Failure, Hip Fracture, Hip Replacement, Kidney Failure, Knee Replacement, Lung Cancer Surgery, Ovarian Cancer Surgery, Pneumonia, Prostate Cancer Surgery, Stroke and Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement (TAVR).
Hoag attained the Magnet® recognition as part of the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s (ANCC) Magnet Recognition Program. This credentialing program for hospitals recognizes excellence in nursing and is the highest honor an organization can receive for professional nursing practices.
Additionally, Hoag earned full accreditation with DNV Healthcare, the organization whose accreditation and quality management aligns with Hoag’s focus on constant improvement.
- Hoag received its fourth Magnet re-designation.
- Hoag was the highest ranked hospital in Orange County by U.S. News & World Report for 2022-2023.
- Hoag named by the Center of Excellence in Robotic Surgery by Surgical Review Corporation.
- Named by Women’s Choice Award® as one of America’s Best Hospitals for Heart Care and Obstetrics for eight years in a row (2014 – 2021).
Recent Major Milestones
- Hoag opened the new Hoag Center for Advanced Visualization and Immersive Therapeutics inside Hoag’s Pickup Family Neurosciences Institute.
- Hoag is the only site in Orange County to enroll its first two patients in a clinical study evaluating NK cell therapy in women with triple negative breast cancer.
- Hoag announced a major reinvestment in its facilities and treatment technologies for the Patty & George Hoag Cancer Center.
- Hoag launched Hoag at Home, a comprehensive home care service offering that provides patients with the high-quality personalized care they need in the comfort of their home.
Hoag Family Cancer Institute Recognition
- U.S. News & World Report ranked Hoag high performing in Colon Cancer Surgery, Lung Cancer Surgery, Ovarian Cancer Surgery and Prostate Cancer Surgery.
- Highest surgical volume program for Breast Cancer, Lung Cancer, Prostate Cancer, Bladder Cancer and Colon Cancer.
- Hoag Family Cancer Institute is in the top 10% for overall patient satisfaction.
- Hoag Family Cancer Institute became the first community hospital in Orange County to offer Phase 1 Clinical Trials.
Jeffrey M. Carlton Heart and Vascular Institute Recognition
- Designated a Blue Distinction® Center designation for cardiac care based on quality and cost-efficiency by Anthem Blue Cross.
- The Society of Thoracic Surgeons ranked Hoag’s Cardiovascular Surgery Program in the highest category for quality and successful outcomes (a 3 out of 3-star rating), achieved by only 1.8 percent of hospitals nationwide.
- The 2022-2023 U.S. News & World Report ranked Hoag high performing in five cardiac specialties: Aortic Valve Surgery, Heart Bypass Surgery, Heart Attack, Heart Failure and Transcatheter Valve Replacement (TAVR).
- Recipient of the American Heart Association’s 2022 Get with the Guidelines® Heart Failure Gold Plus Quality Achievement Award.
Pickup Family Neurosciences Institute Recognition
- Hoag Hospital Irvine was certified a Primary Stroke Center and Hoag Hospital Newport Beach was named a Certified Comprehensive Stroke Center by DNV Healthcare.
- Became the first hospital in Orange County to use high-tech 3D Simulation Software (SNAP) to assist in Brain Surgeries.
- U.S News & World Report ranked Hoag high performing in Neurology & Neurosurgery.
- Designated a Level 4 Epilepsy Center by the National Association of Epilepsy Centers.
- Designated as a Stroke-Neurology Receiving Center by the Orange County Health Care Agency.
- Recipient of the American Heart Association’s Get with the Guidelines® Stroke Gold Plus Quality Achievement Award.
- Named by Becker’s Hospital Review as a Top 100 Hospital with Great Neurosurgery and Spine Programs.
Hoag Women’s Health Institute Recognition
- Hoag Breast Center (HBC) is the first and only breast center in Orange County to be designated as a Certified Quality Breast Center of Excellence™.
- HBC offers the full complement of breast screening technologies, including Breast Tomosynthesis (3D Mammography) and comprehensive breast surgical offerings including oncoplastic surgery and the full gamut of reconstructive options.
- Dedicated OB Services for perinatology, neonatology, OB Intensivist, and OB Hospitalist/Laborist.
- Named by Women’s Choice Award® as one of America’s Best Hospitals for Obstetrics for 2014-2021.
- Hoag has been ranked #38 nationally in Obstetrics & Gynecology by U.S. News & World Report for 2022-2023.
- Hoag has become the first hospital on the West Coast to achieve dual accreditation as a Center of Excellence in Continence Care for Women, recognized by Surgical Review Corporation (SRC) and National Association for Continence (NAFC) for providing the highest quality of care and patient safety.