Recognized Clinical Excellence
Becker’s Hospital Review named Hoag one of the 2016 “100 Great Hospitals in America.”
Hoag has received this designation four times – in 2012, 2013, 2015
and 2016. Hoag is the only hospital in Orange County to make the list.
Additionally, out of the nine California hospitals recognized, Hoag is
the only non-academic medical center.
Hoag attained the Magnet® recognition as part of the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s
(ANCC) Magnet Recognition Program. This credentialing program for hospitals
recognizes excellence in nursing and is the highest honor an organization
can receive for professional nursing practices.
Hoag was named as one of the Best Regional Hospitals in the 2016-2017
U.S. News & World Report. The organization ranked No. 6 in the Los Angeles Metro Area and No. 11
in California. Additionally, Hoag was No. 34 nationally in Gastroenterology
and GI Surgery, and ranked high performing in Geriatrics, Pulmonology
and Urology, as well as in nine common adult procedures including: Abdominal
Aortic Aneurysm Repair, Aortic Valve Surgery, Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary
Disease (COPD), Colon Cancer Surgery, Heart Bypass Surgery, Heart Failure,
Hip Replacement, Knee Replacement and Lung Cancer Surgery.
Rated one of America’s Top 50 Hospitals by an independent health
care research firm in 2016, Hoag ranks in the top 1 percent nationally
for clinical quality and was awarded:
- Distinguished Hospital Award for Clinical Excellence
- America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Critical Care Award
- America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Gastrointestinal Care Award
- America’s 100 Best Hospitals for General Surgery Award
- Pulmonary Care Excellence Award
- Stroke Care Excellence Award
A study by an independent health care research firm also placed Hoag within
the top 10 percent of hospitals in the nation for a number of specialties:
- Cardiac Care
- Carotid Surgery
- Critical Care
- Gastrointestinal Surgeries and Procedures
- Heart Attack Treatment
- Respiratory Failure
- Stroke Care and Treatment
Hoag has been recognized as a top hospital for delivering high quality
care by an independent health care safety and quality group. Hoag earned
full accreditation with DNV GL Healthcare, the organization whose accreditation
and quality management aligns with Hoag’s focus on constant improvement.
Outstanding Patient Satisfaction
- Hoag received the 2015 Outstanding Patient Experience Award by an independent
health care research firm
Named one of America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Patient Experience by
Women’s Choice Award®
Named one of America’s Best Hospitals for Patient Experience in Obstetrics
and Heart Care by
Women’s Choice Award®
Named the most preferred hospital by Orange County residents for 19th consecutive year based on National Research Corporation (NRC) consumer study
Named one of the “Best Hospitals in Orange County” for the 19th time by readers of
The Orange County Register
Recent Major Milestones
- The Surgical Review Corporation named Hoag a Center of Excellence in Robotic
- Recognized by Becker’s Healthcare as one of the “150 Great
Places to Work in Healthcare.”
- Hoag Urgent Care & Family Medicine opened in the Los Olivos Marketplace.
- Hoag became the first hospital in Orange County to use high-tech 3D Simulation
Software (SNAP) to assist in Brain Surgeries.
- Hoag opened WOMANOLOGY® by Hoag, a pelvic pain and complementary treatment program.
- Hoag Neurosciences Institute was selected by the Cleveland Clinic as a
West Coast location for the Brain and Body program to assess health needs
and provide medical care to former NFL players.
Hoag Family Cancer Institute Recognition
- Received accreditation as a “Comprehensive Community Cancer Program”
and received an Outstanding Achievement Award by the Commission on Cancer
of the American College of Surgeons, through a special alliance with USC
Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center.
Becker’s Hospital Review as a Top 100 Hospital and Health System with Great Oncology Programs.
- Hoag Radiation Oncology ranked in the top 1 percent of outpatient facilities
nationwide in the Press Ganey® overall patient satisfaction ratings.
- Oncology Rehab Partners has certified Hoag Family Cancer Institute a STAR
Program®, by offering excellent cancer survivorship and rehabilitation
services to the community.
Jeffrey M. Carlton Heart and Vascular Institute Recognition
- Designated a Blue Distinction® Center+ in the Blue Distinction Centers
for Cardiac Care program by Anthem Blue Cross.
- The Society for Thoracic Surgeons ranked Hoag’s cardiovascular surgery
program in the highest category for quality and successful outcomes; achieved
by only 10 percent of hospitals nationwide.
Truven Health Analytics as one of the nation’s “50 Top Cardiovascular Hospitals.”
- Rated within the top 10 percent of number one hospitals nationwide for
cardiac care by an independent research firm.
- Recipient of the American Heart Association’s Get With The Guidelines®
Heart Failure Gold award for achieving an average score of 85 percent
or greater in all five heart-failure achievement measures.
- Earned the American Heart Association’s Bronze Performance Achievement
Award for outstanding care of coronary heart disease as part of Mission:
Lifeline for Heart Attack Care.
Women’s Choice Award® as one of America’s Best Hospitals for patient experience in Heart Care.
- One of the pre-eminent cardiovascular centers on the West Coast and Orange
County’s highest-volume, highest-rated cardiovascular program.
Hoag Neurosciences Institute Recognition
- Hoag was Orange County’s first hospital (and one of the first in
the country) to offer a vaccine trial for primary brain tumor (Neurovax)
- Rated 5 star for treatment of stroke by an independent research firm.
- Ranked second for the treatment of stroke and ranked tenth in Neurosciences
- Certified advanced primary stroke center by DNV GL Healthcare and designated
as a Stroke-Neurology Receiving Center by the Orange County Health Care Agency
- Hoag’s Stroke Program was awarded the 2015 American Stroke Association’s
Get With the Guidelines Stroke Gold Plus Performance Achievement Award
- Hoag’s Stroke Program ranks among the top 5 percent in the nation
and was chosen as a site for a NIH (National Institute of Health) clinical
trial – a Hoag first
- Named by Becker's Hospital Review as a Top 100 Hospital with Great
Neurosurgery and Spine Programs.
Ranked as high-performing for Neurology and Neurosurgery in the 2014-2015
U.S. News & World Report
- Participated in the world’s first study of PET scanning, demonstrating
Alzheimer’s tau tangles in the brain; and 17 other ongoing clinical trials
Hoag Women’s Health Institute Recognition
Becker’s Hospital Review as a Top 100 Hospital with Great Women’s Health Programs
- Hoag Breast Center (HBC) is the first and only breast center in Orange
County to be designated as a Certified Quality Breast Center of Excellence™
- HBC offers the full complement of breast screening technologies, including
Mammography, Breast Tomosynthesis (3D Mammography) and Breast ultra sound.
A leader in breast tomosynthesis, Hoag now offer it at all satelite imaging
- Designated as a Certified Baby-Friendly™ Birth Facility with a Level
IIIA Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
- Dedicated OB Services for perinatology, neonatology, OB Intensivist, and
Women’s Choice Award® as one of America’s Best Hospitals for Obstetrics
- Opened Orange County’s first Obstetric Emergency Department (OB-ED) in 2014
- Designated as a Center of Excellence in Minimally Invasive Gynecology (COEMIG)
- Highest volume provider of Gynecologic Robotic-Assisted Surgery Program
- One of five sites in the U.S. to be named a Pelvic Reconstruction Epicenter