Counseling Services Update
Counseling Services are available in person, but can also be available via phone. If you would like to schedule a telephonic appointment, please email OncologySocialWork@hoag.org and provide your name and the best number to contact you at. Otherwise, please call 949-536-7332 to schedule an in-person counseling service.
Being diagnosed with cancer can feel overwhelming at times. Many patients and their families need help with coping and can benefit from supportive counseling. Oncology Clinical Social Workers are available to provide emotional and practical support during all stages of cancer including diagnosis, treatment and post-treatment survivorship.
Hoag Family Cancer Institute provides specialized individual, couple and family counseling, on a short-term basis, free of charge, to its patients and their support persons.
How counseling can benefit you
- Learn ways to cope with a cancer diagnosis, feel less overwhelmed and more in control
- Explore the meaning of the cancer experience
- Manage difficult feelings, such as depression and anxiety
- Manage cancer symptoms and treatment side effects, such as pain and fatigue
- Learn how to communicate effectively with the health care team
- Address relationship issues and financial concerns that are causing distress
- Explore options and get feedback about important decisions
- Consider professional or workplace issues and strategies
- Talk about concerns you may have about what comes next after finishing treatment
- Learn how to help your family understand and adjust to changes in routine as a result of a cancer diagnosis
- Explore and resolve cancer-related sexuality issues
Support services are provided without fees to patients who receive their care at Hoag, thanks to community support. If you would like to make a gift of any amount to help ensure the availability of these valuable services, click here.
For more information, or to schedule an appointment, please call 949-536-7332.