Heart Failure Self-Care Tools
Know when to seek help. Download Hoag’s Heart Failure Management Tool.
- Weigh yourself daily in the morning after emptying your bladder and before eating (Download the Heart Failure Weight and Symptom Log)
- Take medications as directed
- Avoid all NSAIDs (Advil, Motrin, Aleve)
- Maintain a 2000 mg sodium diet per day
- Restrict fluids per health care provider (HCP)
- Exercise as recommended by the health care provider
- Attend routine medical follow-up visits
- Notify health care provider about cold or flu symptoms
- Receive flu and pneumonia vaccines
- Abstain from alcohol consumption
- Smoking cessation
- Stress management
Ask your doctor if you are a candidate for the Outpatient Cardiac Rehabilitation Program.