Below are basic tips everyone should follow when encountering a marine mammal.
- Please keep your distance from any marine animals in order to give the animal the best chance of survival.
- Federal law prohibits touching, feeding, harassing, removing or returning a beached mammal to the water. Please do not pour water on the animal.
- Seals and sea lions temporarily “haul-out” of the water and go on land to rest. This is normal behavior, so not all animals will need our help.
- Monitor from a safe distance and make necessary observations. Politely keep other people away from the animal.
- Call Pacific Marine Mammal Center (PMMC) at 949-494-3050. Ask to speak with our animal care department.
For additional information, visit the Pacific Marine Mammal Center.