Reproductive Health Care Services
Access to comprehensive health services for women is a priority and Hoag provides the full scope of women’s reproductive services with the exception of elective abortions and In Vitro Fertilization procedures, both of which are only very rarely performed in a hospital setting. Women have access to all other reproductive and family planning services at Hoag. Permanent sterilization procedures, such as tubal ligations, are offered to patients in the community and performed at Hoag Women’s Health Institute.
What reproductive and family planning services does Hoag provide women?
Women have access to the following reproductive and family planning services at Hoag Women’s Health Institute:
- Contraception including counseling, prescribing, placement of LARC (long-acting reversible contraception i.e., IUD) and dispensation of emergency contraception
- Management of ectopic pregnancy
- Management of blighted ovum, threatened, incomplete and inevitable miscarriage
- Management of non-viable pregnancy (lack of fetal cardiac activity)
- Emergency services for women experiencing complications related to pregnancy termination at other facilities
- Permanent sterilization including postpartum tubal ligation, ligation at time of cesarean delivery, laparoscopic tubal ligation/coagulation/transection, hysteroscopic tubal occlusion
- Dispensation of emergency contraception following rape or sexual assault
If a patient is miscarrying, are you allowed to do a D&C (dilation and curettage)?
Can Hoag discuss abortions and give referrals for abortions?
Hoag discusses all options with patients, including abortion and providing referrals for abortion services. Our Abortions and Family Planning Resources page provides resources for patients and physicians. Resource cards with detailed information and contacts as well as business cards with a QR code and website address are provided to physician offices for distribution to patients who may be interested in an abortion.
If a non-medically indicated abortion cannot be done at Hoag, what arrangements can be made for a patient who wishes to terminate a pregnancy?
Hoag has referral relationships with well-established and highly regarded community partners such as Family Planning Associates, Planned Parenthood, and UCI Women’s Options and provides facilitated communications with care coordinators at these facilities through Hoag’s Personal Service Team (800-400-HOAG). Independent physicians continue to offer comprehensive reproductive services in their medical offices and outpatient surgery centers in their communities.
Where can I learn more about your reproductive care policies?
Information is available on our website here. We also recommend that patients talk with their provider.