Balance and Vestibular Physical Therapy
The Balance and Vestibular Rehabilitation program at Hoag is a comprehensive approach for treatment of vertigo, dizziness, gait and balance disorders.
The assessment and treatment is provided by Master’s Degree or Doctorate level trained physical therapists who have received advanced certification in vestibular rehabilitation.
Patients undergo a comprehensive physical therapy evaluation which usually includes:
- Computerized balance testing:
- A computerized standing balance test that assesses the patient’s systems involved in maintaining balance: vision, inner ear balance structures, muscles and joints
- The assessment helps determine a patient’s fall risk and specific balance difficulties
- Assessment of standing and walking balance, strength and flexibility
- Vestibular (inner ear) assessment for vertigo, dizziness, balance disturbances and motion sensitivity
- Gait analysis: assessment of walking to determine if there are problems with strength, flexibility or balance
Treatment may include:
- Neck maneuvers for positional vertigo
- Vestibular exercises to improve dizziness, equilibrium, standing and walking balance
- Strengthening and conditioning
- Computerized balance and gait training