The Mary & Dick Allen Diabetes Center offers a lot of support to pregnant
women through its Sweet Success program.
Sweet Success is a state-affiliated program for women who have diabetes
while they are pregnant. Some women, who have never had diabetes before, develop
. Other women may already have
type 1 diabetes
type 2 diabetes
and become pregnant. The Sweet Success program is for all of these women.
In order to ensure a safe pregnancy and a healthy baby, it is essential
to carefully manage diabetes during pregnancy.
Certified Diabetes Educators at the Allen Diabetes Center provide classes
and information for pregnant and breast-feeding women with diabetes to
provide detailed meal planning and consultation related to medications
as well as insulin instruction and pump training if needed.
Gestational Diabetes Counseling
These classes are for individuals who develop diabetes during pregnancy.
• The pathophysiology of gestational diabetes
• Potential complication associated with gestational diabetes
• The impact on the mother and baby
• Blood glucose monitoring
• Nutrition education for pregnancy
• Appropriate energy needs to meet optimal weight gain for pregnancy
These are individual sessions for women with pre-existing diabetes (type
1 or type 2) contemplating pregnancy
• The importance of meeting appropriate A1C goals prior to conception
• Potential complications associated with diabetes in pregnancy
• Review of blood glucose mentoring goals
Pre-existing Diabetes (type 1 or type 2) and Pregnancy
These are individual sessions for women with type 1 or type 2 diabetes
who are now pregnant.
• Nutrition education for pregnancy and a review of food exchanges
and carbohydrate counting
• Blood glucose monitoring and medication an insulin instruction
The Sweet Success Program is by physician referral only. For additional
details about the program, or questions, please call 949-764-8065.