Hoag History

The idea to build a hospital in Newport Beach, CA for the residents of coastal Orange County dates back to 1944. Rev. Raymond Brahams, seven Presbyterian church members and one physician formed a corporation called the Presbyterian Hospital of Laguna Beach. They began a fundraising campaign in the local community and changed the name to the Presbyterian Hospital of Orange County after securing a site on the bluffs in Newport Beach. Unable to afford construction costs following World War II, they looked for additional sources of funds.

In 1950, the Hoag Family Foundation, established 10 years earlier by George Hoag, Sr. (an early partner in the J.C. Penney Company), his wife Grace and their son George Hoag II, learned of the hospital project and donated the funds needed to begin construction. With the support of the Hoag Family Foundation and the community, the hospital was completed in just two years and named Hoag Memorial Hospital Presbyterian. When the hospital opened on September 15, 1952, there were 75 beds, 68 staff physicians and 60 employees.

The George Hoag Family Foundation and the Association of Presbyterian Members, represent the two founding organizations of the hospital and continue to provide leadership as corporate members of the Hoag corporation. These members annually elect the board of directors, including representatives from the Hoag community and medical staff, as well as the chief executive officer.

Watch Now: Hoag Hospital - 60 Years Serving Orange County, CA