Jr. Auxiliary/ Candystripers
Hoag’s Jr. Auxiliary/candystriper volunteer program is currently on hold. We are not taking applications at this time. If you are interested in the Jr. Auxiliary program, please check back on this website May 2021 for the next time we will be taking applications.
Hoag’s Junior Auxiliary/Candystriper Program consists of 150 local high school students between the ages of 15-18 from 25-30 schools who volunteer their time to assist patients, staff and the hospital.
Questions about our valued high school volunteer program can be directed to the Auxiliary Office at 949-764-8264.
- Freshman, sophomores or juniors between the ages of 15-18 (Sorry, no seniors.)
- Must be able to volunteer BOTH weekday evenings (4 p.m.- 7 p.m.) and weekends (times vary).
- Live within a reasonable commuting distance of the hospital
- Caring, friendly and cheerful attitude
- Demonstration of responsible and professional behavior
- Ability to honor confidentiality laws and infection control and safety regulations
- Attendance at monthly meetings at Hoag Hospital Newport Beach
- Annual health screening questionnaire/TB testing
- Annual flu vaccine (or wear a mask during flu season if you choose to decline the vaccine)
- Background check (as appropriate)
- Attendance at the new volunteer orientation & annual training meetings
- Commitment of one year of service (We do not have a short term, summer programs, physician shadowing, nor internships.)
- Commitment to volunteer at least 12 hours per month (3 hour shifts)
- Must be able to volunteer at both Newport & Irvine hospitals. (Depends on the volunteer openings at each hospital.)
Benefits of Volunteering
- The good feeling of helping others
- Learn about the hospital setting and medical professions
- Gain skills and confidence
- School credit for community service
Duties May Include
- Transport/escorting patients and visitors
- Running errands
- Customer service in patient care and non-patient care hospital areas